Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Shaken not Stirred

Psssst. Hey you. Yeah, I'm talking to you. Who am I? Well, I'm your weary liver. I'm here to win friends and influence...your drinking habits. Sometimes, you just have to slow down on all the crazy concoctions out there, bro. Rest up, and drink some juices and club soda. It's okay to be over twenty-one and ask for a Shirley Temple. Say it with me, "Shirley Temple." Non-alcoholic drinks aren't half bad. Give them a try. I'll thank you in the morning (Parker, 1000 Best bartender's recipes, 2005).

Alcohol has been in my life forever. To varying degrees and in different forms within different spheres, but always present. My mother drinks a glass of wine before bed or has an occasional drink with dinner, my father was once a Maitre d' but does not himself drink. Appreciation for wine was instilled in me, and drinking was viewed as acceptable--I think I had my first taste at 11.

It was not until after high school when drinking became a social norm. Now, it was sit back and have a hard lemonade, or JD in Coke, or Bailey's OTR. Other social pressures existed, such as smoking--something I swore to myself I'd never do yet have done. Sure, I've never had a cigarette, but I've smoked hookah, cigars, cloves and can't say I dislike them--but I know they are unhealthy, and more so because I have a high propensity for addiction. Already I've used the excuse of an "occasion" for what could be considered binge drinking. For males that's 5-6 drinks, females 4-5...hum...definitely that was binge drinking.

I've been drunk dialed, the "DD", and even been part of conversations that consisted of nothing for than repeating the same joke and laughing--loudly. But I don't like NOT being in control, so by determination I have yet to be drunk--and I have no intention to ever be so. But I have come close, too close for comfort, and closer than I'd readily admit. I don't find drinking necessary, although, I'd like for it to be less of a pleasure--but I call that expensive taste;) --I still believe that in moderation and the appropriate setting, alcohol is acceptable, healthy, and can be well appreciated. I do not consider college to be an appropriate setting...a tempting one, but not acceptable..certainly the most accessible, and potentially hazardous. Compromise--that's a killer...been there, done that. Don't care to again.

1 comment:

  1. Linsi, I am so proud of you and this group for not being afraid to share their real views!!! Thank you sooo much guys.

    Yes, I agree that alcohol can be used appropriately and appreciated, under the right circumstances. (Especially for you since you are over 21) P.S. that circumstance is not on campus tho. Which I know you know--but I should reiterate. :)

    Thank you for being open with your history of this topic. I'm glad to see that you stress responsibility for yourself. You have a lot of wisdom to share with us.

    ReplyDelete