Thursday, October 25, 2007

Know thy self

Whether it be a struggle with body-image, pornography, recovering from sexual-assault, or living a sexual promiscuous lifestyle, moral consequences are very great and often greatly sacrificed. For myself, (I shared about being caught in a friendship where she indulged in reading sex-journals online) my moral struggle was such that I literally could not live with myself; my first suicide attempt was at a friends house while she was online—she never knew, and in her own words never cared. While working at a Crisis Pregnancy Center, many of the young girls who came for counseling expressed they had “had enough” and desired to be “treated better”—an expression of moral conflict within themselves and of their search for self-worth.

This recognition takes many forms, be it after months controlling her dietary intake, moving from sexual partner to another, or entertaining ideas of self-mutilation, we all come to a realization that this is NOT as it's meant to be--with God's grace, we can recognize our worth in His eyes, and can come to know ourselves, for who He created us to be.

1 comment:

  1. Linsi. Thank you so much for sharing what you did with our group, and what you did in your journal. I really apreciate it.

    I think you are most definitely right when you say that it is a process--and that it takes a long time for people to come to the realization that there is better for them.

    Thank God for his grace, forgiveness, and love!!!

    ReplyDelete