Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Strengths

My Top5 Strengths are:
Individualization
Developer
Connectedness
Communication
Belief

That said, it may come as little surprise that I love to encourage people, help them find and develop their own strengths, and know that for myself who I am and what I do is deeply rooted in my beliefs.
Here are what each of these Strengths mean to me:
Individualization
I love people for who they are, what makes them unique unto themselves--I love to bring that out of them. I love the diversity of people, the "how and why," their Psychology, and of cultures--Sociology.
Developer
I'm an encourager, I want to see others succeed--a Barnabas.Also, as far as personal development, the ability to see strengths overcome weakness, in myself and others. I love to help others find their strengths and grow in them, I love to mentor and help people "life-plan." I'm a Psychology Major, and if Counseling isn't a "Developer" vocation I can't think of one... ;)
Connectedness
(OK, first, to dispel any and all conceptions of hippies...) For things to be 'connected' they are in a functioning-relationship, so to accurately convey this I would re-term this as "Relational." Yes, I'm a bridge builder. Yes, I see all things as having a purpose: "for all things work together for the good of those who love the Lord Jesus." I live by that--or I'd have no hope. I believe there is a purpose much greater than mine that I am an integral part of...and so yes, in that sense I'm see the connectedness of things.
Communication
Anyone who has known me, for any time at all, knows communication is one of the areas of relationship that is of greatest importance to me. "What are you trying to say?" "What are you thinking?" "Does that make sense?" "Do you feel as if your thoughts are being heard?" "Am I understanding you correctly?" I am constantly re-connecting during a conversation, or asked to mediate for friends because they simply aren't "speaking the same language." (Likewise, MIScommunication is something that frustrates me most.) I often say there are three types of people: Talkers, Conversationalists, and Communicators... simply put, Communicators know how to do more than when to listen and respond. Communication is understanding, and being understood.
Belief
It is true, I have a strong core-value system--often viewed as "narrow-minded," "traditional," "unrelenting," "black&white," but my values/moral choices are rooted in such foundational Truth, have come through times of trial, and have been foraged by fire--leaving nothing but that to which I can hold fast. With this, I'm loyal to a fault--I'm dependable to the best of my ability, and I pray that my friends know that no matter what life takes them through, no matter what choices they make--bad, ugly, whatever--I'll be there for them.

***Just a note: While these come up my Top5, I would be interested to re-take this test, because I spent so much time deliberating over these questions I missed several. But I'd be interested to see if I wouldn't come up with other Strengths it I could make better choices, because I can see within myself a few other Strengths that may be very close to these. Namely: Arranger ((borderline-OCD?)), and Restorative ((I'm a peace-maker, and mediator by nature)).

7 comments:

  1. I thought that i would get the belief strength, but i guess its not my highest. I just understand respect people that stand for what they believe in.

    I also got Individualization. and i must say that its cool that we are in a group that sees and loves the differences in each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Linsi!

    thanks for being so on top of this, and getting this blog done still today, you are amazing!

    well, what can i say. Wow. you really seem to know and have a handle on your strengths and what they mean in your life. That is really cool, and but of course there are probably a ton of other strengths that fit you as well. That is why we allow you to "claim" them. Don't limit yourself to what a test tells you. You know more then the computer could!!

    I think its cool that we both have developer and connectedness, so I totally get where you are coming from in your explanations of those. so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey girl!
    wow. your strengths are cooL! i can definately see the communication one and the bridge builder one for you, but im excited to get to know you more and see all of the different strengths you have,(even if they werent listed in your first test!) :) cool beans! wow again. cool about the beliefs too, and how you try to live your life!! :o)
    i would agree.. otherwise, theres no hope!

    well have a good day! see you on wednesday in beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you'll be a great counselor with all of these strengths ahahaha especially with what you said about your communication strength. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your strenths fit you. I noticed that you can always make a connection with someone no matter what their background is you can relate to them in some way. great strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have some amazing strengths Linsi! They all seem like they work work together wonderfully, and especially if you want to go into psychology/scociology. I think you also (like I see Kelly) said, really know who you are and are very prepared to use your strengths to make a difference. I hope that I can get to know you better this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. linsi I admire you so much. You've been through a lot and you are one of the strongest people I know. Your strengths fit you perfect and I really believe that you'll go far if you go deeper into finding out more about them and yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete